IMPORTANT - major changes coming soon

Info about the site
mcmahos
Site Admin

IMPORTANT - major changes coming soon

Post by mcmahos » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:30 pm

Hi all

Hope everyone's managing to stay safe etc in these uncertain times. There's 2 major changes about to happen to the ClydeMaritime Forums - one of my own making and the other by the current webhosts.

Starting with the latter, my current hosts Future Hosting (who have been great) are migrating all their servers over to a sister company called Nexcess over the coming days. The initial data sync and swap has already taken place and from what I can see and test on the new setup it appears to be ok. For individual users, there should hopefully be absolutely no difference in how you access the site, and any downtime whilst the final IP sync takes place will be minimal (hopefully non-existent). But I'll try and keep an eye on any issues should they arise.

However, the more major change is that for personal reasons, primarily having been made redundant a few weeks back, I was already looking to shut down the Future Hosting server as it's costing me $85/month, and with no income coming in at present I'll need every penny. The forum is the main website I've got on it with almost 23Gb of data/uploads stored within it. There are a couple of other websites, but they're fairly insignificant in the scheme of things. Earlier in the year I had already transferred a number of other websites from it on to an alternative and cheaper host. But that host doesn't support phpBB. Looking ahead, the phpBB software that this forum uses is a pain to update and the latest version will require quite a bit of support to get things working, and which I'm not overly confident at doing!

So, what's the future of the ClydeMaritime Forums?

Let me say this at the outset - the forum will not be shutting down - there's too much valuable and important data within it - instead I'm looking at transferring it over to Tapatalk forums. There has been a Tapatalk plugin on the forum for a number of years now which lets users access it along with a range of other forums via an app on mobile devices, and it appears to work reasonably well. However, Tapatalk also host forums, and can migrate existing forums run by a variety of software, including phpBB. An initial test migration has already taken place and all the existing forums and subforums will remain in place, and all the user logins should remain the same. I'll still be an admin on the site, and all the other user roles should be preserved as well. There may be some cosmetic changes to the look and feel of the site, but the actual structure will remain the same. The costs with Tapatalk are a fraction of what I'm paying at the moment, and, whilst this may be a downside, there will be adverts on the Tapatak site which if clicked, should generate enough income to make the site almost free to run. There will also be the ability to make a one-off (or regular) donation to the site if you wished to do so.

I was hoping that this move over to Tapatalk would happen in the next week or so, but the server transfer that Future Hosting have initiated might delay it by another week or so as I want that completed successfully first.

ClydeMaritime has been going for over 10 years now, and my hope is that it continues for a much longer period into the future. At present there's a fairly small group of folk who are really active on it - it would be good to see some more contributions by the silent lurkers or infrequent posters (of which I count myself as one!) - there's currently 1845 users registered on the site! The main website is unaffected by this transfer, it's just the forums.

Thanks for all the support over the past 10 years, and I hope that will continue once the forums migrate.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | clydemaritimeforums.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled)

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | Twitter: @threetowner

_on_the_clyde_

Re: IMPORTANT - major changes coming soon

Post by _on_the_clyde_ » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:57 am

Thanks for the update and all the work that goes in that we don't see. There is a wealth of information contained within the forums and great that this will be preserved. Thank you.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:47 pm

The IP swap by my hosts has now taken place. If it has gone to plan (fingers crossed) then you should notice absolutely no difference in accessing the site. If you experience any issues though, let me know and I'll raise it with them.

The transfer to tapatalk groups is still pending as I was waiting till this IP swap had taken place.

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | clydemaritimeforums.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled)

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | Twitter: @threetowner

steely17

Post by steely17 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:57 pm

many thanks for a great site that would be sorly missed if it disappeared . a fair number of other sites use the info from this one for many things nautical
:)

Henk

Post by Henk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:52 pm

It would be fair if they mentioned this site name if they use data, but they don't.
Henk de Winde

Return to “Housekeeping”