Fred Olsen Fleet in Rosyth

All things relating to cruise lines and their vessels
alasdairmac

Fred Olsen Fleet in Rosyth

Post by alasdairmac » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:35 pm

This shot shows all six of Olsen's ships in the basin at Rosyth, together for what will almost certainly be the very last time. Left to Right are MS Borealis, MS Bolette, a glimpse of MS Balmoral, MS Braemar, MS Black Watch & MS Boudicca. Borealis and Bolette are the newly arrived former Holland America Line's Rotterdam and Amsterdam while Black Watch and Boudicca are being disposed of, probably to the breaker's yard. (Sorry that the image quality is not as good as it should be; it is a tight crop and was taken using a fairly short lens from Blackness)
Attachments
_DSC9444.jpg

Henk

Re: Fred Olsen Fleet in Rosyth

Post by Henk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:43 pm

What a terrible sight Alan, but unfortunately it is what is is. How the world can change in only eight month!
Henk de Winde

clydesider

Post by clydesider » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:32 pm

When things eventually get back to some normality - and they will - the two former HAL ships should fit very well into the Fred Olsen Cruise Line's offering.
Arthur Sales

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:54 pm

A big jump in capacity which in the present circumstances I suspect Olsen wish they hadn't committed to. The two ex-HAL ships are more than twice the size of Boudicca and Black Watch and Olsen will need to be careful that they don't lose the personal service touch which they were able to give in the smaller vessels.

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:40 pm

Sadly, Boudicca is now anchored off Tuzla in Turkey waiting her turn in the breakers yard. Had a couple of great cruises on her. She was just the right size of ship for me, and above all a proper ship, not a hotel block built on top of a barge like most of the newer monstrosities.

Henk

Post by Henk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Fully agree with you Alasdair! All good passenger ships are gone or will go shortly to a beach somewhere. What rest is those sort of a shopping village where it only is important to show yourself.
What rest for us is my beloved Hurtigruten. If they ever will sail again?
Henk de Winde

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:29 am

Hi Henk. I’ve sailed on the Norwegian coast several times but never on Hurtigruten - It is on my bucket list of things I must do :beer:

Henk

Post by Henk » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:50 pm

A marvelous trip Alasdair. Unfortunitly I couldn't sail not one this year, but still hoping I can start again next year in April with the group from this year and some others included in the meantime!
Welcome to enjoy!
Henk de Winde

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 pm

Black Watch is now rounding the corner from the English Channel into the Atlantic on her final voyage to join her sister Boudicca at Tuzla. Let’s hope that Borealis and Bolette can fulfil their 2021 itineraries

Return to “CRUISING”