HMS ANSON

Deepol

HMS ANSON

Post by Deepol » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:54 pm

HMS_AnsonAerialShot.jpg
King George V Class battleship completed in 1942 by Swan Hunter being launched as JELLICOE.
Her wartime service consisted of Russian Convoy duties and Far East being present for the Japanese surrender at Hong Kong.
Her end came in December 1957 when she arrived at Faslane to be broken up.
Paul Strathdee

Clyde 15

Re: HMS ANSON

Post by Clyde 15 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:43 pm

I can remember this ship when she was moored off Helensburgh about 1950. My pal and I saved up the boat fare ( 6d) to go for a sail round her. Big thrill !

E28

Re: HMS ANSON

Post by E28 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:49 pm

A really significant and historical name in the annals of the RN so who exactly was Anson ?

George Anson, 1697 - 1762, in his career attained Admiral of the Fleet and became 1st Lord of the Admiralty during which time he became a great reformer of the RN in numerous ways, the repercussions lasting generations and as such he effectively became the father of the RN as we know it today.

This King George V class battleship was the most recent ship named Anson, the next is the 5th Astute class nuclear fleet submarine officially named 11th December 2020 at B A Barrow although not in the water for a few months yet with 2022 her due completion. As such she will be the 8th Anson, some records say 9th and together with Duncan, currently a Type 45 destroyer, the pair uphold a long tradition of these two names being used, very rare in the RN.

In 1797 Anson had his greatest victory, over the French at the battle of Finisterre on 3rd May but be aware there was a second battle with the same name in the same year over the same adversary by Hawke on 14th October.

Finisterre means Lands End in French and this battle name has been borne by one RN ship, a battle class destroyer from Fairfield launched 22nd June 1944 and scrapped 1967.
Raid - Trade - Aid
Thats all folks. Sean. E28

Return to “The War at Sea”